Use of cookies on this website

We use cookies to deliver our online services. Details of the cookies we use and instructions on how to disable them are set out in our Cookies Policy. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. To close this message click close.

Cookie Disabled.

General Public

Sims accepts household waste at most of our UK scrap yards

Consumer and household scrap metal is accepted at our UK scrap metal yards.

If you are not a business, but an individual with household metal waste which you would like to recycle then we offer the following support and services:

  • We DO accept individuals bringing scrap metal items to our sites
  • We MAY accept individuals bringing certain waste electronics and electrical (WEEE) items to our sites; please contact your local site for clarification.
  • We DON’T collect items from individuals if it is less than 3 tonnes - please contact your local site for clarification.
  • We MAY in some circumstances collect from an individual IF your items weigh more than 3 tonnes; please contact your local site for clarification.


Q: Can I 'walk' into your site to drop off my metals waste?

No, you must be in your own vehicle. We do not accept items from people on foot or in taxis.

Q: I have a small amount of metal waste (less than 3 tonnes), what do I do with it?

You can bring your metal waste along to one of our sites and we will take this from you. We will pay you for your items based on the current metals market price. You must have the appropriate personal identification on you as we will need to record your information and the items you have brought to us.

Sims does not offer a collection service for small metal items (under 3 tonnes of weight).

Q: Do I need to contact the site before I visit?

No, please just come down to our sites with your items. Check your local site page information for opening times and items we accept.

Q: As an individual, what identification do I need if I come to the site to drop off metal waste?

You must bring a form of photographic identification with you, as we will need to record your information and the items you have brought to us.

The ID documents that we are able to accept are as follows: 

Photo ID

  • Valid UK photo driving licence 
  • Valid UK passport
  • Valid UK biometric immigration document
  • Valid EEA passport
  • Valid EU National ID card
  • Valid UK Firearm/Shotgun licence

If your photo ID does not have a current address, it must be accompanied by:

Proof of address which must be less than 3 months old

  • Bank or building society statement 
  • Credit or debit card statement
  • Mortgage statement
  • Council tax demand letter or statement
  • Council rent book/Benefit book
  • Council/Housing Association agreement
  • HMRC correspondence
  • TV licence
  • UK Firearm/Shotgun licence
  • Utility bill (not a mobile phone bill)
  • Water bill

Q: I want to scrap my car, what do I need to bring with me?

Along with your ID (see above) we will also need the log book for the car you are scrapping.

Q: I am an individual but I have a lot of metal waste (more than 3 tonnes) what do I do with it?

Please contact your local site to discuss possible collection services.

household metal recycling